F-2 Visa Dependent Requirements

To qualify for an F-2 visa, a spouse or unmarried, minor (under age 21) child must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer (during visa interview) and the immigration officer at the port of entry that:

  • He or she is the spouse (as evidenced by a valid marriage certificate) or child (as evidenced by a valid birth certificate) of the F-1 principal
  • He or she has sufficient funds to cover his/her expenses, or that other arrangements have been made to provide for such expenses once in the United States
  • He or she intends to leave the United States upon the termination of the status of the principal F-1 student
  • If the dependents are following to join the student, the F-1 student is, or will be within 30 days, enrolled in a full course of study or engaged in approved practical training following completion of studies.

An eligible dependent must also present a dependent Form I-20 issued by the CISSS. Each dependent must have a properly executed Form I-20 with a unique SEVIS ID number. Individuals in F-2 status may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstance. An F-2 spouse may not engage in full-time study. The F-2 child may only engage in full-time study if the study is elementary or secondary school (kindergarten through twelfth grade). An F-2 child or spouse may engage in part-time study that leads to or count towards a degree at any certified program at a SEVP-certified school. List of SEVP certified schools: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search. Full-time study beyond the secondary level requires a change in visa status from F-2 to F-1. You are required to complete I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (http://www.uscis.gov/i-539).

Join our mailing list!

Keep up with all the latest happenings at Hartford Seminary

Sign-up now ›

Hartford Seminary